Tuesday 9 June 2015

[Ingress] #MyIngressStory

Image from Google

I had always wanted to write something about Ingress but somehow doesn't seems to have the chance/idea on writing it. That is until couple of months ago (I think) when one of the agents (yes, we called each other agents) asked if I want to be featured in a newspaper on Ingress, which of course I said yes. I need to fill up some points and one of it was, 'Short and easy comment Ingress to you'. That, takes me to think a lot.

Giving the best short answer I can, I came to realise that Ingress is a story to me. Short and easy comment can't define how Ingress means or play a role in myself. So, here is it. A long post on My Ingress Story.


+

Ingress: The World Around You is Not What it Seems

Ingress is an app by Niantic, available on both Google Play Store and iTunes. This is a strategy role-playing game that requires you to move around in real life. It basically a medium to bring you into a whole new world, a way for you to view whats around you differently.

One of our anomaly
The game is like a story, how the future is at risk over the unleashing of a kind of energy by the scientist in Europe. Nobody had yet figure out the purpose of this force of energy but it's able to influence our mind. And now we have to choose, to control our own mind or letting that energy to take over.

So, the goal of this game is either defend and fight against this force (aka Shapers) or embrace the Shapers. There are two factions, the Enlightened and Resistance. The Resistance is the one that go against the Shapers while the Enlightened is the one assisting the Shapers. 

Ingress is played globally and the best part, it connects many people together. The more people play together, form alliances and conduct proper planning, more wins for the faction. It too, requires lots of effort and dedication to level up. Definitely not your normal boring old game.

From their own Intel map, you get to track on the activity of all other players, let it be Resistance or Enlightened and all over the globe. At certain timing, there will be anomaly going on several countries and everyone are welcome to take part in that event.

As I mentioned earlier, Ingress is like a story and they have a storyline that you can follow. Links to them can be found at the end of the blogpost. Right now, my official turn to share #MyIngressStory


I am Enlightened


At first I just randomly picked my faction (happens all the time when I download any games) and even got frustrated getting a username right because whatever I keyed in are not available. Revert myself to the old school childish username and kaboom! I'm in!

Helping out for the BBQ
I started Ingress myself and great thanks to one of my friend, I got myself familiar with the game. But because of the time zone thing and we could only do the tutoring by Skype, I mostly do all the Ingress myself. Games normally don't last long in me, so when reaching level 4 or 5 (can't remember), I slowly stop playing. That is until I was invited to join the Enlightened Malaysia group. 

First BBQ Party with the peeps
When you are playing with a group of people and all of them are working on the same goal, the feeling is really different. The motivation and excitement are there to sweep you off your feet. You hear story on how they work together to win the next checkpoint or cycle makes you all go awed.

I met many new people and learned how to play the game better than before. During the initial stage, I got so engrossed in the game that I would immediately open my scanner (the app) to see if there are any new portals around that I can hack, destroy or capture. And, they are the only group of people where I can accept keeping the eyes on the phone when we hang out.

Good things too can happen when two factions work together.
Image from Google
Through Ingress, my social circle definitely expanded. I found myself surrounded with many fun, enthusiastic, and caring people. I seen and heard so many stories on how they seek and receive help from each other. One of the story I heard was how one agent asked for help though the public comm. Something about his car and immediately someone from the other faction went over to help him. Another one that I didn't really witness but heard the story from the person myself. His friend needed an immediate blood donation and he turned to his fellow teammates for help. He was touched by the immediate respond and people arriving at the hospital at night to volunteer. My very own experience, when my dearest grandma passed away, agents from KL and Penang came to show support, even handing me 'bak gam', something I definitely didn't foresee in them.

Blood Donation drive
I get it that Ingress is just a game. But what's within Ingress is more than that.

I joined them for the Solanum Mission badge hunt.
I volunteered for the amazing First Saturday Event.

I was involved in their blood donation drive (although kinda got rejected)
I participated in the anomaly for connected cell.
I had fun in their BBQ event.
I was brought out all the way from KL > Karak > Lanchang > Mentakab > Termerloh for Mega Fielding.
I joined the field art process.
I got my face in a newsletter.
I appeared in newspaper.
And more, I believe.

I met with agents from other countries.
I met with local experienced agents that turned out to be fun people.
I met with the new agents.
I met with the agents from  opposite faction and even be friends.

First Field Art Ops
The experiences I gain from this one app are just irreplaceable. Imagine how this one little app could actually brings so many people of different diversity together, far more better than any of your social media app. The real life action where you race from one place to another to protect/secure the portals, the teamwork and trust between you and your teammates to have the field up, and up above all, the fun of the game where imagination runs free.

I don't really stay long in a game and see what Ingress did to me. Few more months till my 1 year anniversary as an Enlightened agent.

Join me and the world, in the era of Ingress, because.. the world around you is not what it seems. AND share your Ingress Story too! #MyIngressStory





Our successful cross faction First Saturday


For more info on Ingress:
Official Website
Google+
Google Help Centre
Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google Play
App Store






2 comments: